Thursday, June 23, 2011

lady gaga, your new social media strategist

I love this commercial. I like the song, and I love the authenticity of it. It's so "millennial" and I love it. I was watching it tonight when I am was in a thinking/writing mode. I saw it through a new lens.

Like her or not, if you know anything about Lady Gaga you know that she is relentlessly dedicated to her fans. She is all over every social media outlet, and keeps up with posting/updating.

Many student affairs departments are trying to break into the social media trends. Creating blogs, twitter accounts, fan pages, etc. The key takeaway we can learn from miss gaga....

YOU MUST KEEP UP WITH IT TO STAY RELEVANT

A fan page is working against you when it only has five fans and the last post was 7 months ago. This may seem like common sense, but in 2 minutes of searching I can find 9 department fan pages with this exact problem. Here are a few tips...

  • Don't bite off more than you can chew... The first thought is to create it all at once. Start small. Pilot a fan page for a month, and monitor activity. Keep track of the amount of work to maintain it.
  • Find the geek. I am a self proclaimed geek...so I can say that. Find the geek in the office that is really excited about this stuff. If they are interested in it, and have ownership over it, it's a great project for them. Don't be surprised if this person is a student or young professional.
  • Strategize. Whether its rotating authors of blog posts or tweets, a strategy is important. It may seem to lack authenticity if things are scheduled out, but without it you risk the "7 months between posts" issue.
  • Lastly, check out mashable.com for all the latest on everything social media. It's a great website and stellar resource.

No comments:

Post a Comment